Sustainability and circular economy
5Loops midterm goal is to implement sustainability as a circular economy with the following concept: Products will be based on BioAcetate S70. This is a material based on cellulose, more precisely wood pulp or cotton. Regular acetate contains a lower percentage of cellulose than BioAcetate S70 and needs to be mixed with chemicals like plasticizers (phthalates), which can be toxic and cause reproductive and general health issues. Additionally, normal acetate contributes to micro plastics found in the oceans. BioAcetate S70 contains less chemicals, instead using more bio-based substances.
Production with BioAcetate S70
- BioAcetate S70 is 62 % bio-based
- ASTM D6866 tested
- ISO 14855 certified as biodegradable
- Free from harmful plasticizers - diethyl phthalate (DEP) free
- Hardness enhanced cellulose acetate (HECA) which makes our frames more durable and resistant
- BioAcetate S70 is produced with a reduced carbon footprint because it is not based on fossil fuels
- Bio-based frame production reduces the dependency of fossil derived resources and greenhouse gas emissions as plants use CO2 during their growth
- 5Loops frames can be sent back to 5Loops for either refurbishing, composting or recycling
- OBE hinges made of nickel and silver alloy
- Glasses frame cases and cleaning cloth made 100% from recycled plastic bottles (RPET) which can be again recycled through the established plastic recycling system
Please send us your ‘old’ 5Loops glasses and we will refurbish and send them where they are needed most – pictures will be shared through our Instagram account and via our website under "Our values - supporting those in need".
Based on condition of glasses frames these will be either collected to support social projects in Peru or sent for composting or recycling to specialized companies.
Please send to: TrendsByTwins GmbH, Winklerring 3, 85630, Grasbrunn. Germany
To guarantee and control the sustainability of all elements and production aspects of 5Loops, we have engaged a company for regular audits and control. Producing glasses made of BioAcetate S70 in Europe is extremely challenging at this current time due to the availability and affordability of raw materials. Ideally, we will transfer the production of 5Loops eyewear to Europe in the foreseeable future to reduce our CO2 footprint, as well as become ‘independent’ from overseas production regulations.
We believe it is our duty to think about what will happen with our product once its life cycle has ended and how it will thereby be re-entered into the economy as either refurbished glasses, composted or recycled material. Thinking only how to produce and sell a product sustainably is not sufficient – we must go beyond to the very end.
5Loops will continuously search for new ways to being more sustainable, learn more about circular economy and influence society to look for brands who live this concept as we do.